[SGVLUG] Non-web archives -- how?

Hershel Remer unixrabbi at rabbs.com
Fri Sep 9 10:47:39 PDT 2005

BS"D

Our friend Tom asks:

> [putting on my "next generation 'net user" hat, I have to ask] If the archives
> are not "on the web", how do you search them?

Well, the beauty of majordomo is that it creates archives for you. UUASC's are
bundled into monthly packages accessible for download via majordomo. When one
subscribes, the directions are handed to them. It is basically just a series
of majordomo commands. SGVLUG had that capability as well when we were running
majordomo.

> [and back to my "normal" hat] So, what capabilities do users have for
> "searching" the archives?  Can they search on content, or strictly by
> thread/date/author?

Well, the downloads become like regular mailbox files and you can treat them
the same way you treat your own inbox, I suppose. But, before I'd go through
all that trouble, I would first check our rather lengthy FAQs page to see if
it contains the info I was interested in:

http://cwelug.homelinux.org/cgi-bin/wiki.cgi?UUASC_FAQ

Csivah v'Chasimah Tovah !!

-- the unixrabbi

Have you got a question about sex? Wondering about unix? or just curious why
the Jews were chosen and the rest of you Gentiles were not? Well, why not get
your answers from the Rabbi Rabbs himself at:
http://www.thedingdongshow.com/messageboard/viewforum.php?f=7 .