[SGVLUG] archives??? since when?

Dustin laurence at alice.caltech.edu
Thu Sep 8 12:47:00 PDT 2005

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005, Hershel Remer wrote:

> I don't recall reading any of those, but those aren't MEMOs.

Well, if you want to be technical about it, the memo only went out to the
secret SGVLUG .cabal group, along with the note about putting that
suspicious "Rabbs" character under electronic surveillance in case he's
secretly plotting to force us all to use Slowaris or something. :-)

> "Please be aware that we are now going to web-archive all emails posted to
> this list effective immediately."

The point is, not many of us care about this.  It would never occur to me
that someone might make a big deal about it--anything sent to an open
mailing list like this should be regarded as totally public anyway.  You
never know who the messages are going to.

> Waitaminute. The plot thickens. Are you saying that the "memos" were only sent
> out to a handful of people in a behind closed doors fashion?

Yes.  We don't want suspicious characters to even know about the .cabal,
much less what we discuss in sekrit. :-)

> Ah, but you could do the same thing by using Mutt on your own mailbox or even
> subscribing a gmail or yahoo or hotmail account to the list.

Not at all.  One of the most important uses of an archive is for newcomers
to search for things that have already been discussed.  That only works if
the entire archive is available, since otherwise you won't have anything
archived.

Dustin