[SGVLUG] Cheap drives at Fry's

Dustin laurence at alice.caltech.edu
Thu Sep 8 11:13:06 PDT 2005

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005, Jeff Kutz wrote:

> it (or have a friend working at Fry's to give you a heads-up). I suspect
> they are teasers, meant to get you in the store rather than to have one
> available to sell to you.

Perhaps, but they are ATA100, and the current PATA spec is ATA133.  So
they are also unloading old stock while it's still saleable.

Which reminds me--IIRC current drives are still far from saturating ATA100
for sustained transfer, so the difference really only matters for cache
reads?  Is so?

I was thinking of getting one or two of these for storing big media files,
where the sustained transfer rate is the only thing that matters.

Dustin