[SGVLUG] Re: Linux Audio Meeting--Let's Try Again

Dustin laurence at alice.caltech.edu
Sun Sep 4 17:24:24 PDT 2005

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005, Greg Stark wrote:

> I am not able to attend the first meeting, it being on a holiday and all.
> Monday evenings are in general a good choice by me.  I think the Linux Audio
> SIG has great potential.  I am looking forward to attending the next one.  I
> hope there will be an Audio installfest (FC4 is my flavor this month.)

I hope so too.  Fedora seems to be the best easy choice to get started,
thanks to Planet CCRMA.

> I wonder if it would be out of line at this early stage to suggest adding "
> & DV" to the name and their by broadening the scope a byte.  Rrr.  I was not
> sure if this had been mentioned earlier, and dropped.

It makes some sense, since digital video needs similar low-latency tuned
kernels and some of the same apps (video always needs audio).  OTOH no one
has stepped up to push video or admitted to being knowledgeable enough to
do so.  OTOH the Pro Audio stuff is more aimed at musicians, and I'm not
sure of the overlap.

In the medium term I need to learn to edit video (pretty simple with kino,
actually) and author DVDs (not as simple if you want them to be slick, but
I have links for the tools), so I'm interested, but at the moment I am not
working on it at all.

How about we just reserve the right to amend the name if video becomes a
big topic?  In practice we can be like devsig, which discusses whatever
it's members discuss. :-)

Dustin