[SGVLUG] Company Claims Patents over XML

Jeff Carlson jeff at ultimateevil.org
Fri Oct 21 14:56:11 PDT 2005

Michael Proctor-Smith wrote:
> Aviran Mordo writes "News.com reports that a small software developer
> plans to seek royalties from companies that use XML, the latest
> example of patent claims embroiling the tech industry. Charlotte,
> N.C-based Scientigo owns two patents (No. 5,842,213 and No. 6,393,426)
> covering the transfer of 'data in neutral forms.' These patents, one
> of which was applied for in 1997, are infringed upon by the
> data-formatting standard XML, Scientigo executives assert."

"Data in neutral form" can be revoked, as I believe this is essentially
what email has done for over twenty years.  There are probably other
examples.

One of the main problems with the current US patent system, I think, is
that the clerks who issue patents are in no way encouraged to deny an
application.  In fact, they are paid by how many patents they process
and approve.  There is no incentive for the people doing the job to
consider just how bad of an idea any particular patent may, in fact, be.