[SGVLUG] Company Claims Patents over XML

Michael Proctor-Smith mproctor13 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 13:17:29 PDT 2005

>From slashdot: http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/10/21/186204&threshold=0&tid=155&tid=95&tid=8

This cause several problems and cool thoughts for me. One the Abstract
claims that "non-hierarchical, non-integrated neutral form". First
thought is that XML is very hierarchical(am I wrong?).

Second I hate the concept of software patents.
Third sense we have this concept of "intellectual property" couldn't
the US goverment claim Eminent Domain over the windows source code and
fair market value for a modern multi-tasking OS would be zero dollars.
That what it costs for GNU/Linux and the *BSDs source code.

Aviran Mordo writes "News.com reports that a small software developer
plans to seek royalties from companies that use XML, the latest
example of patent claims embroiling the tech industry. Charlotte,
N.C-based Scientigo owns two patents (No. 5,842,213 and No. 6,393,426)
covering the transfer of 'data in neutral forms.' These patents, one
of which was applied for in 1997, are infringed upon by the
data-formatting standard XML, Scientigo executives assert."