[SGVLUG] looking for a rack-mount case -- anyone got one gathering dust?

Tom Emerson osnut at pacbell.net
Sun Oct 2 21:24:06 PDT 2005

The way I have my computer room set up right now, I have a couple of servers
next to me, along with the switch and my actual workstation -- the number of
fans involved are more than I can count, so it's a bit noisy [though I'll
claim that I hardly notice them anymore, the recent power-outage in burbank
reminded me of just how quiet NO fans at all are...]

So I'm considering moving the server(s) out to the garage where I have a rack
(or even to the HP rack -- either way it will be "in a different room")  One
server I have is already a rackmount, and the switch itself happens to be a
rackmount as well [complete with a couple of extra fans]  That leaves three
other servers in "regular" cases, though I may actually consolidate them to a
single server if I can put all the "functionality" into a single box.

  -- one is the firewall, so this will need two [or three] NIC's [have them]
  -- one is a general file server
  -- one has a DLT tape drive I've been meaning to put into "regular" use for
backups [in fact, I think I have an old copy of arkiea on it from when it was
bundled with redhat 6 or so...]

For putting all this "in a rack", I'd need a 4U case -- mainly for the
full-height NICs and the "full-sized" DLT drive [5.25 mounting, and about 10
inches in depth!]  I've seen a few on e-bay with "buy it now" prices as low
as $40 (though I think that was without a power supply) but the killer is
that I don't know if the DLT drive will fit.

So, I'm asking here -- does anyone have a rack-mount case, or know of one,
that is otherwise unused?  If it's "in use", I'm willing to trade "parts"
with one or two regular cases I have [if you find you no longer need it to be
"in a rack"]

--
Top o' the Blog: Too hot to handle
http://osnut.homelinux.net/mtblog/ya_index.html