[SGVLUG] CPU speed scaling

Dustin laurence at alice.caltech.edu
Sat Nov 26 13:13:42 PST 2005

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005, Mike Fedyk wrote:

> I used a p4 laptop with speedstep (two speed: 1.6 or 2.8ghz) for a while
> with FC4 and didn't notice anything showing in the cpu monitor.  Nice
> thing is that it would step up to the fast speed when needed, but would
> drain the battery in 15 minutes going at full speed.  Otherwise I'd get
> ~2 hours on the battery.

I seem to have solved this problem mostly.  I have started tossing out
unnecessary crap out of the kernel, and on the first pass I tossed out
ACPI extras for IBM and Toshiba laptops, and suddenly the CPU activity
went from somewhat insane to barely noticable on the graph and no
noticable response degradation, and scaling also started working a lot
better.  I suspect it was loading the wrong laptop driver.

Heh.  Sometimes it still pays to build your own kernel.

Dustin