[SGVLUG] rpm hell

Mike Fedyk mfedyk at mikefedyk.com
Mon Nov 21 17:47:01 PST 2005

Don Saxton wrote:
> Thanks.  I think you are asking the linux distro: redhat 8.0 and the
> rpm for libmyswlclient is at
Consider upgrading to RH9 since so few repositories support RH8 anymore.
> http://rpmseek.com/rpm-dl/libmysqlclient12-4.0.15-62447cl.i386.html?hl=com&cs=mysqlclient:PN:0:0:0:0:2294061

> the openssl I tried is at
> http://rpmseek.com/rpm-dl/openssl-0.9.7c-3mdk.i586.html?hl=com&cs=openssl:PN:0:0:0:0:1369281

Yes you have rpm hell because you are combining the rpms very badly.

> I think I have two holes in my knowledge : how rpm resolves
> dependencies and how shared objects are versioned.
>
> I am wondering  if I d/l the source for libssl and libcrypto and
> compile whether that will be detected by an rpm install for
> libmysqlclient.
These older distros might be packaged differently and don't have a
libmysqlclient package, but have the same files in a package with a
different name.

Upgrade to RH9 and install Fedora Legacy:
http://www.fedoralegacy.org/docs/yum-rh9.php

Also, do not install RPM packages not meant for your distro, you will
most likely regret it.

Mike