[SGVLUG] Call for webmasters / upcoming presentations

Dustin laurence at alice.caltech.edu
Tue Jun 28 12:12:25 PDT 2005

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005, Max Clark wrote:

> The magic of wiki's is there is no such thing as controlled access.
> Anyone who creates an account can modify content. This allows for the
> entire community to become involved with the site and the content on the
> system.

I agree with the "entire community" thing, except for the Wiki-style "the
whole world can edit" idea.  I don't see how that leads to anything except
constant cleaning up after spam.  Surely it would be sufficient to just
create an account for anyone who asks, on the theory that if we've met
them or even just exchanged personal email it's unlikely to be a problem.

Also, it seems reasonable to pick a Wiki that has version (I don't think
all do) so that if worst comes to worst we can revert to an earlier
version with a minimum of fuss.

Dustin