[SGVLUG] Call for webmasters / upcoming presentations

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 16:15:39 PDT 2005

On 6/27/05, Emerson, Tom <Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com> wrote:
> OK, it looks like we have a site (under our direct control) and a subject or two, so now we need a couple of authors to create a spiffy write-up and a couple of people willing to make sure "the site" gets updated in a timely manner.
>
> We *do* have a small group of volunteers who originally responded for this (David, Jean, & Stephen, I believe) so I'm writing to make sure they are still interested and to find out if anyone else wants to help stir the pot [though we probably will keep the number of cooks limited overall... :) ]
>
> For those that want to be in a primary position for this, is there any preference for maintaining the site via some form of content-management system or "blogging" software (such as greymatter, moveable type, or ???) or just a plain-jane "keep the page reasonably clean by hand" approach (using a regular text editor or *perhaps* a mid-level page/site management program such as bluefish, quanta, or (heaven forbid) frontpage or HoTMetaL?)  [note: I think it is called bluefish, it's been a while since I looked]  [note 2: since "quanta" is installed on my system "by default / as part of KDE", it's about all I know of and I'll admit bias towards it, even if I don't know how to use it all that well yet... ;) ]

Hmm, sounds like a great idea for a few quick presentation on various
site management programs and html editors... ;)

While I am a big fan of Content Management Systems, don't forget that
we want a rock stable front page that will always just work on the off
chance that the database crashes or needs to be quickly hosted on
another machine, etc.

At another website, I used an old version of phpNuke and have looked
at replacing it with TikiWiki, Mambo and now phpWebSite.  For a side
by side comparison, you can try the CMS matrix,
http://cmsmatrix.org/matrix and select various projects and click the
compare button.

http://phpwebsite.appstate.edu/
http://www.mamboserver.com/
http://twiki.org/

I think SGVLUG would benefit by a community run CMS on the next page.
 Something more than just a Blog, like a Wiki with controlled access.
I'd say make a list of features that sound interesting to people then
have people vote by asking them to score each feature.

- articles
- forums
- member pages
- support for personal blogs