[SGVLUG] Distributed filesystems

John Riehl jcriehl at mail.jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Jun 23 15:26:10 PDT 2005

Terry Hancock wrote:
>> what is your network like?
..
> It's a mess and it's antiquated, but I am not motivated to fix that if this
> is the only use case (and it is).  Copying files from one system to another
> is not inordinately slow, but anything that requires fast disk performance
> obviously suffers from use over NFS.  No doubt this has to do with using
> an ancient 10 mbit hub and driver problems on at least one ethernet card,
> but somehow my antiquated, "bottlenecked", "poorly configured" network
> manages to wheeze through most tasks I need it for.
>> certainly rsyncing your files locally and running that will avoid the
>> problem. I dont think your problem is inherently NFS.
>
> That's probably the best solution, I guess. I had been thinking that it
> might be easier to set up a solution at the filesystem level.  But it sounds
> like not.   Rsync and a cron job may be the best thing, I suppose.

yes, it sounds like the network.  changing nfs to something else wont
fix that.

what bothers me is that even for a 10 mbit network, it sounds like you
have a network problem.   at home, i stream music down on a 384k line,
while my spouse does something similar (different stream) in the other
room.  when I stream video down, my browser (& its plugins) has to stop
and buffer it, but I am often getting only 10-20k throughput from the
source.

I would suggest upgrading your network, but it sounds like you dont want
to, so I wont. I think it would be cheaper or as cheap as buying a disk
drive.  You  might just have a kinked cable somewhere.

jr
john riehl

yes, these are my opinions.