[SGVLUG] Distributed filesystems

Michael Proctor-Smith mproctor at surfcity.net
Thu Jun 23 14:06:23 PDT 2005

Terry I am sorry if you wanted something other than NFS it is just that
NFS in not that slow. I have played lots of video over NFS, sure it was
mpeg2 and less than 1MB per second, but video. Last night I moved a
fedora core 4 iso from one machine to another got 15MB per second, 2.6GB
2min 51seconds.

When I visted Disney Anamation this year I learned that they use NFS to
make movies, each frame is upto 12MB. Their artist, and there render
cluster talk to file servers over nfs.

I just hate when people spread the FUD that NFS is slow.

But on the other hand I would love to know more about Intermezzo.

> I would hope it is clear that using *ANY* system which accesses data
> on a remote system's hard drive is going to be slow compared to
> getting
> it from a local drive.

This is not true while latence might be slightly higher it demends on
the speed of local disk verses very expensive disk arrays systems that
maybe on the other end of the network link.