[SGVLUG] strange dual head problem

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 20:00:32 PDT 2005

I'm trying to get dual head (or rather big desktop) working using a
Radeon x300.  I've got two LCD panels connected to the DVI splitter.
Works fine under WinXP but of course I want to use Linux.    I
installed Mandriva (still getting used to that name) LE 2005 (formerly
known as Mandrake 10.2) MINI but it only brought up the primary
display.  Took some fiddling with the xorg.conf file but i finally got
both monitors to work IFF I log in as root.  If I log in as a regular
user, only the primary display comes up.   It looks like I can move
the cursor past the right edge but the display remains blank.  Nothing
obvious in the logs.  Checked the ATI website and did some google
searches but can't find anything that helps.  It sounds like a
permission problem.  Oh, I did install Mandrake at the "higher"
security level.

Other info.  I'm using X.org 6.8.2

anyone see this before?

claude