[SGVLUG] fyi - slides from the blackhat session on cisco iosexploits

Emerson, Tom Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Fri Jul 29 15:47:02 PDT 2005

> -----Original Message-----
> Behalf Of matti
>
> interesting stuff..
>
> http://www.infowarrior.org/users/rforno/lynn-cisco.pdf

a.k.a. "the genie outside of the bottle" -- presumably, the injunction against Mr. Lynn includes his presentation materials [pulled from the proceedings, videos of his actual session erased, etc.] so the above set of slides should be "gone", but as I imagine this (or any similar site) has been slashdotted, "billions and billions" of copies exist somewhere...

> best quote I've seen off /.
>
> Re:I hope they nail him to the wall! (Score:5, Insightful)
> by 99BottlesOfBeerInMyF (813746) on Friday July 29, @03:29PM
> (#13197525)

I'm not entirely sure of the context here, but at least one of the comments to the blog you posted last night [early this morning?] echoed a similar sentiment [nailing him to the wall, that is] for the "reason" that when someone does what they "believe" to be the right thing, lawmakers take the WRONG course of action and impose restrictions against our "freedoms" so that it can't happen again (or in this particular case, since this goes to the "core" of the Internet, this gets lumped into patriot-act shenanigans under the guise of protecting America's "Critical Information Infrastructure" -- if they really wanted to "protect" the infrastructure, rather than make it illegal to talk about it, the government should consider switching vendors...)

> [..]
>
> I know a lot less about networking and networking security than Mr.
> Lynn. I am willing to believe, however, that he would not give up a
> good, paying job and risk his future employment prospects unless he
> felt that this was a real and serious risk.
>
> [..]

A little bit of "devil's advocacy" here -- this might be a ploy to garner a better / higher-paying job.  After all, if he's proven to be "right" about this, he can essentially write his own (meal) ticket since every security company the world over would want to have him on staff; if it turns out the whole thing is smoke-and-mirrors, then he really WILL be out of a job with no future prospects...

[I suspect the truth lies somewhere between these extremes...]