[SGVLUG] Visual Studio .NET IDE for Linux!

Dustin laurence at alice.caltech.edu
Tue Jul 26 20:33:57 PDT 2005

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005, Jana Lingo wrote:

> I think a lot of windows folks are down sacred of us and our "commie"
> software. One of the reason I lost my last job was that I refused to
> take the ".Net pill" . Being involved with mainframe development, all
> I saw was changing the lock keeper from Unisys to Microsoft.
> That being said, I would like to set a .Net and or Mono presentation.

Well, OK, let me get my box o' hats:

> go south
The Linux Coatroom
> look
You see a box of many hats of all sizes and shapes.
> take hat
Which hat do you mean?
> take political hat
You pick up a large furry Russian style hat with a hammer-and-sickle
emblem on the forehead.  Obviously only a commie would wear such a hat.
> wear political hat
You put on the commie hat.  You look good, komrade!

Now that we're clear on that, I'd like to point out that at this point
Mono is considerably freer than Java.  How is it not on topic?

That said, I think the fear of MS litigating a few submarine patents is
what keeps Mono from taking off, so if there is a Mono presentation it
would be nice to hear the latest word on the "Stupid Lawsuit Exposure"
front.

Dustin