[SGVLUG] auto shutdown when ups indicates power out

Emerson, Tom Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Mon Jul 25 15:53:00 PDT 2005

which specific unit, and are you sure it ONLY has a USB cable?  Just glancing through their product pages, most of them say "usb AND serial", and one I saw that only listed "usb" had a "photo" that showed it had a serial port.  Also, from the general description, it says, "...Connectivity is through serial or USB port (USB not standard on all models).", which further leads me to believe it may have a serial port after all.  In a stretch, there may even be a USB-to-serial adapter that would let you plug it in as if it were "legacy" hardware.  (it's not like this really needs a 400mbit connection to signal "power is out...")

"...I see dead tech support..."    [couldn't resist]

APC has supported Linux for some time.  As Manual points out:

...uhh, yeah, since "the Matrix" encompassed nearly every living human on the planet...

(but then, it used people for power anyway, so there really wasn't any need for a UPS...)

> http://www.apcc.com/products/management/pcp_linux.cfm
> Linux has been tested on the following Linux distributions. :

which points to version 4.5.3.  While this is some of that "evil scary proprietary stuff", they DO make an open source "simple signalling daemon", which I suspect is the core of their spiffy full "free-as-in-beer" product.