[SGVLUG] Website Testing

Dustin laurence at alice.caltech.edu
Wed Jul 20 13:08:35 PDT 2005

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005, David Lawyer wrote:

> The html code for the existing website sgvlug.net looks far too complex
> with all kinds of table and list tags.

This is one reason I don't much like html editors.  While
machine-generated code is a tough problem in general, I've always had the
private conviction that it wouldn't be that hard to generate much more
readable code.

Note that I'm *NOT* advocating maintaining the site in nvu.  I merely
point out that if static pages are more important than anything else, that
is probably the only alternative to

> editor (=vi) of course.  At least 2 people would need ftp (or ssh)
> access to maintain the webpage.

This is exactly why I am opposed to maintaining raw html, whether with vi
or a fancier editor.  I think ease of delegation is worth dynamic
generation, but I do also think those doing the work should be making the
final determination.

Dustin