[SGVLUG] Website Testing

David Lawyer dave at lafn.org
Wed Jul 20 03:32:52 PDT 2005

On Tue, Jul 19, 2005 at 10:43:00AM -0700, Dustin wrote:
> To get the static pages Mike is talking about, if we don't just use the
> "good old vi" method I guess the earlier suggestion of nvu would probably
> be the best.

The html code for the existing website sgvlug.net looks far too complex
with all kinds of table and list tags.  I'm putting it into
linuxdoc-sgml and eliminating all tables (and lists ??) so that it
will be much simpler.  Then I hope to generate html from it by
sgml2html and put the result on my website if I like the looks of it.
I could also put the linuxdoc-sgml code there too for anyone
interested. If this works out I'll let the list know.

So one could maintain this either using the simpler html code that
I'll generate or use the linuxdoc-sgml code.  All edited with the vim
editor (=vi) of course.  At least 2 people would need ftp (or ssh)
access to maintain the webpage.

Using ftp for updating: One can define a shell function.  Here's what
I use to update my site (I just type "web")   My makefile (called by
mk) converts the linuxdoc files to html and then sitecopy uploads any
changes via ftp).

#Funct to update my website (should be connected to net)
web () { cd /home/dave/website; mk --no-print-directory ;\
 command /usr/bin/sitecopy --update lafn ; cd - ; }

For ssh, I guess one would use rsync which is more efficient than
sitecopy since only the diffs are uploaded.

			David Lawyer