[SGVLUG] Call for webmasters

David Lawyer dave at lafn.org
Tue Jul 12 23:24:27 PDT 2005

On Sun, Jul 10, 2005 at 07:00:07PM -0700, Dustin wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jul 2005, David Lawyer wrote:
>
> > I'm in favor of a very simple site using say html 3.2 and not using
> > any complex tags like the table tag.
>
> As far as I can tell, that's what we've been doing, and it wasn't so
> great.
>
> > really familiar with the various cms systems but their capabilities
> > seem to be far beyond what SGVLUG needs.
>
> One thing they can do that is rather nice: you can give fine-grained
> permissions to pieces of the site without giving anyone access to anything
> at the unix level but the http server itself.  You can delegate
> responsibility for one page to someone without allowing them access to
> everything else, nor to the command line, nor even to an ftp server.  In
> practice, I think this would mean that it would be easier to allow more
> people to contribute to the site with much fewer security implications.

That's a nice feature but it's more suitable for a site which has the
purpose of informing people about Linux such as the Linux
Documentation project that still doesn't have a cms.  Information
about Linux needs to be organized better than just having each LUG
cover a few topics.

So how many people are needed for maintaining a LUG site whose main
purpose is to let people know about meetings and other LUG activities?
All of this can be on a single webpage.  I guess the answer is one
person with another as a backup.  But there might be some uses for
multiple access.  What about having each presenter write a little
about what the presentation will cover and give each presenter limited
access so they can post their blurb.  But this could also be done by
the presenter emailing the webmaster, avoiding the need to create an
account that will just be used once.

The UCLA and USC LUGs seem to mirror various Linux distributions, etc.
but this requires a lot of bandwidth.  For this, different people
could handle the mirrors.

A practical use of multiple access would be for SIGs but SGVLUG only
seems to have one active.

So while I still don't think it was worth the effort to use a cms, it
seems that much of the effort has already been expended so why not
utilize it.

			David Lawyer