[SGVLUG] Call for webmasters

Dustin laurence at alice.caltech.edu
Sun Jul 10 19:00:07 PDT 2005

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005, David Lawyer wrote:

> I'm in favor of a very simple site using say html 3.2 and not using
> any complex tags like the table tag.

As far as I can tell, that's what we've been doing, and it wasn't so
great.

> really familiar with the various cms systems but their capabilities
> seem to be far beyond what SGVLUG needs.

One thing they can do that is rather nice: you can give fine-grained
permissions to pieces of the site without giving anyone access to anything
at the unix level but the http server itself.  You can delegate
responsibility for one page to someone without allowing them access to
everything else, nor to the command line, nor even to an ftp server.  In
practice, I think this would mean that it would be easier to allow more
people to contribute to the site with much fewer security implications.

Dustin