[SGVLUG] Call for webmasters

Douglas Burton doug at augustarts.com
Mon Jul 4 13:33:45 PDT 2005

Tom Emerson wrote:

>I suspect we need to start up a "webSIG"
>(perhaps as an adjunct of devSIG) so we can dedicate some time
>To "design" [and perhaps have a "knowledgeable member" pass
>Along some isnsight into css usage]

I could probably do that. I'm by no means a css guru, but I have a
fairly solid working knowledge and a couple of years of experience with it.

>I know there is a
>"webspinner" group that meets in WEST L.A., which is a bit of a
>Drive even for me (and I'm in perhaps the westernmost area
>Of our general membership to begin with!)

Same for me. I would love to go to the LAMPsig meetings, too, but I just
don't have the time.

>>if they do use CSS properly (and valid markup), at least
>>their pages will have smaller filesizes, cleaner code, more
>>semantic markup, and they'll be easier for a good designer to rework.
>>

>I'd love for someone to take a look at our current site (and
>Associated stylesheet file) and provide some feedback on
>What we need to improve.

If we end up using a CMS or other package, the current page structure
will go away anyway. We can do whatever customization we want with
whatever package we use. If I were to work on the existing sgvlug.net
site, I would start by fixing the page markup. It's pretty clean, but I
would get rid of the nested tables, <font> tags, superfluous <span>
tags, invalid attributes, and so forth. It also needs a DOCTYPE and a
valid type heirarchy, among other things.

Then I would start building a stylesheet. I tend to start with a
rules-based design method, letting the content inform design decisions,
rather than mocking up a page in an image editor and recreating it with
css. Once I have a basic structure that works, then I embellish with
more aesthetic elements.

Doug