[SGVLUG] Call for webmasters

Dustin laurence at alice.caltech.edu
Sat Jul 2 15:48:33 PDT 2005

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005, Douglas Burton wrote:

> Fear not! I used my powers for good and created a non-evil banner.

Where do I see it on the site?  Is it not published yet?

Anyway, I figured out the locking problem.  You get a lock every time you
go to any items edit screen (can't argue with that, either), and release
it whenever you publish or abandon it properly by hitting "close" (not the
most intuitive name, I suppose).  However, if you abandon it "improperly"
as I do habitually, by hitting the browser "back" button, you retain the
lock.  Only "save" or "close" releases the lock.

Moral of the story: Mambo really wants to be in control of your screen,
so the simple thing is to avoid using "back".  At least, don't use it in
an edit screen.

Now that may surprise me for some reason, but it makes sense.  What
doesn't make sense to me is this: if you leave a lock on a page it
remember the locks from login to login until you explicitly remove it, but
*it doesn't retain your changes*.  That's very odd, since the obvious
behavior is to allow multi-session editing.  It doesn't seem to be
possible, at least in this way.

> I'm assuming (without having done any research whatsover to back it up)
> that we can customize and/or create the templates to do whatever we
> want. The default template is a combination of table-based layout (boo)
> and css (yay). It's awfully busy.

That's my thought (though I'm not enamoured with CSS, actually).

Dustin