[SGVLUG] The SGVLUG website -- Mambo-style

Dustin laurence at alice.caltech.edu
Sat Jul 2 16:51:58 PDT 2005

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005, Claude Felizardo wrote:

> doh!    i posted the next few meetings to today.caltech.edu under the
> calendar. i explicitly mentioned sgvlug.net in the announcement since
> there's no way that i can find to change the url for our group.

Yeah, that makes sense.

> As for testing various web site packages, i'd prefer to have all
> available at the same time so we can go back and check if something
> does or does not have a feature and especially how easy it is to use.

OK, that was my preference anyway.

> Assuming Dustin is still willing and has the time, i think it would be
> best to continue to use his system so we have the same
> hardware/network configuration for the comparisons.

You can use my system--I learn something about what I might want to use
for other projects just by installing these packages.

> just noticed that dustin has posted a few more times....   regarding
> apache security, you could try requring a user/pwd to access the
> directory using .htaccess and .htpasswd.  just place the .htaccess at
> the top of each evaluation tree and the .htpasswd where it can't be
> reached from the internet.  then post the user/pwd to the mailing list
> or only to those on the mailing list that request it.

Well, yes, that's what I'd have to do.  I just don't like it and so I've
been balking at implementing it.  Well, at least it has no crucial data.

> hmm, maybe we should remove the link to your site from the sgvlug.net
> site and just mention that we are evaluating different web apps and
> they should join the mailing list if they want to participate.

I guess I thought I'd asked for someone to do that, but I'm not being
clear enough.  Please remove the link as soon as conveniently possible.

I *very* much doubt that anyone who doesn't read the list will spend
enough time with it to be of any help, so I don't think it hurts the
testing project in any way to remove it.

Dustin