[SGVLUG] [OT] Slashdot my server!

Brian Belgarde bbelgarde at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 5 18:19:57 PST 2005

Amazing....  Thanks Tom

Here's a link about the guy who created it.
http://www.snopes.com/photos/arts/xmaslights.asp
There's also a Today interview with Matt Lauer on that page. The video there
shows the house in the daylight with the lights on in the background.

Origins:   A video clip (viewable here or here) shows home Christmas lights
synchronized to flash in time to a musical score, in this case
Trans-Siberian Orchestra's Carson Williams and Family "Wizard in Winter"
(from The Lost Christmas Eve album).

This display was the work of Carson Williams, a Mason, Ohio, electrical
engineer who spent about three hours sequencing the 88 Light-O-Rama channels
that controlled the 16,000 Christmas lights in his annual holiday lighting
spectacular (from Christmas 2004). His 2005 display includes over 25,000
lights that he spendy nearly two months hooking up. So that the Williams'
neighbors aren't disturbed by constant noise, viewers driving by the house
are informed by signs to tune in to a signal broadcast over a low-power FM
radio station to hear the musical accompaniment.

The rough quality of the video has led some viewers to believe it was put
together in stop-action form from still photographs, but that is an artifact
of the high compression used in the clip circulated via e-mail. Mr. Williams
has posted instructions for recreating his "Wizard in Winter" sequencing,
and another of his choreographed Christmas light music shows can be viewed
here.