[SGVLUG] NFD over Internet

Alex Roston tungtung at pacbell.net
Sun Dec 4 01:28:04 PST 2005

Does anyone know if NFS can be safely deployed over the Internet?

I have a program for my kiosk system which accepts cards. There's a card
number associated with a number of minutes. The customer types the card
number into a small application which looks the card up in an encrypted
file. If the card is accepted, the customer can use the kiosk until
his/her time runs out. If the customer quits before time runs out,
his/her extra minutes are saved in the file, and the customer can use
the card again.

I have a customer who has deployed around 50 kiosks in Canada, and they
want to extend this system into a web-based application. It seems to me
that the cheapest way to do this is to simply make the file of
cardnumbers available over the Internet via NFS, but I'm unsure of the
possible consequences. Would this be safe? Would it be secure? If not,
is there a way to make it secure, such as by using SSH?

Lastly, if this isn't practical, what's the best (and hopefully easiet)
way to implement an authentication system over the net?

Thanks,

Alex