[SGVLUG] water cooled cases.

mjy mjy-lists at charter.net
Thu Dec 1 16:20:53 PST 2005

John Riehl wrote:

> does anyone have any experiences with water-cooled cases?  I have a
> request for a dual opteron system, but they want it water-cooled,
> because they think it will be quieter.
>
> jr
> john riehl

it should be kept in mind that water cooling has its drawbacks-- the
water pump still makes noise, there is always the chance of leakage,
residual buildup in the waterlines/cooling adapters, etc.  it is
definitely high-maintenance compared to traditional air cooling.

for the cost of building a water cooling system you can buy the quietest
fans on the market, and keep in mind that the biggest noisemakers (in my
experience) are the video card and "northbridge" fans, and companies
like Zalman are all too happy to provide quiet versions of both.