[SGVLUG] Are there any oracle gurus on this list?

algis posius algis66 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 31 16:41:28 PDT 2005

I've heard that Oracle has two modes of backup. One
they call "cold backup" where the DB is shutdown so
the data files cannot be accessed while you backup
just the db files.

The other mode is a "warm backup". In this mode oracle
allows access to the database files but in a simulated
way. This means that the data files can be backed up
in the same manner as the "cold" backup but the
adds/changes are logged and applied when the backup is
completed.

--- Michael Proctor-Smith <mproctor13 at gmail.com>