[SGVLUG] Are there any oracle gurus on this list?

Michael Proctor-Smith mproctor13 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 12:28:11 PDT 2005

On 8/30/05, Max Clark <max at clarksys.com> wrote:

> Why would you answer a question that you have "no idea about"? There is
> not a _real_ database on the planet that you have to take offline to
> backup.
>
> Ya, while I probable should not answer question I do not no the answer to,
why do you have to start with the real_database crap, there are lots of
databases that you can not have active writes going on and have a consistant
backup. So you have to lock the database to prevent writes while the backup
happens. As far as I am concerned that is offline as the database is
nolonger fully functional.