[SGVLUG] Are there any oracle gurus on this list?

Emerson, Tom Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Tue Aug 30 17:43:35 PDT 2005

> -----Original Message-----
> Behalf Of Greg Stark
>
> Do you really have to use Oracle.

Yup.  Not my decision (it was made before I was aksed about it) but there is also the compelling fact that "it's paid for" [WB already uses Oracle for a number of other "databases", and in fact, a *part* of this application has already been implemented using oracle, so it's more a case of getting our old APP to remain "interoperable" with the rest of the campus, but read on...]

> after (paying through the nose for it.)  Moving the database
> to AIX is the consultants problem [...] Can be as
> simple as doing a Full Export then Import.  Depends on how
> big your DB is at that point.

Ahh, but if it were truly that simple, it'd have been done years ago [when it was announced that this "platform" (the HP3000) will be discontinued by HP in 2003/2006 (sales/support EOL dates)]

While the STRUCTURE of the existing database is pretty simple,

   -- the "interface" processes are written in COBOL [by this I mean interfaces with vendors and clients -- think "EDI"]

   -- the "reporting" process used by those COBOL programs is a proprietary print driver (geared for HP/PCL printers)  [and 99% of all printed output is "generated" by the "back end"]

   -- the "front end" is written in visual basic, in the style of Johnny Cash's cadillac (i.e., using methodologies and workarounds common to/required by vb3, 4, 5, & 6; all depending on who wrote what each day)  And, in particular, using DAO, but only peripherally (almost all the database calls use the "dbsqlpassthrough" option/parameter, meaning that we're coding direct SQL calls in VB rather than let the ODBC driver figure out what needs to be done -- mainly because the initial developers didn't have a clue...)

   -- the "business logic" has never been culled of obsolete routines...  (instead, the routines are replicated from project to project under the premise, "because the other programs have them, they must be important...")

So, who wants the job?  I'm sure I can put in a good word... ;)