[SGVLUG] trademark realities

Dustin laurence at alice.caltech.edu
Mon Aug 29 14:06:52 PDT 2005

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005, Hershel Remer wrote:

> Look, anything is possible.

Even non-unitary evolution of a state vector?  I doubt that. :-)

> happening? How would you, Dustin, possibly determine those odds? I believe
> such actions cannot be "quantified" as there are no numbers to put on the
> frequency of outlandish and unpredictable human behavior as suggested.

You miss the point, which is that those words simply don't mean what you
are using them to mean <insert obligatory Princess Bride quote here>.  It
doesn't matter what arguments you make, their definitions are different
than you think they are.  Your reply makes that clear--you yourself did
what you claimed was impossible.  Period.  End of story.  Not important,
and not worth arguing about, but those are the facts.

I engaged in that bit of pedantry because I thought juxtaposing
"unquantifiable" and "zero" was so funny I almost laughed out loud, not
because I thought it was profound (on the contrary, it was trivial).  It
was of the order of saying "The name of Yaweh cannot be represented in
text" (feel free to translate into whichever form in whichever script you
find the name of God most proper) or "never say never".  See?  Small joke,
not worth the paragraphs we've now spent on it.

Feel free to forget about it if you still don't get the joke.

> Thanks for providing the links. As for your concerns regarding UUASC...

How much clearer could I have been that I am not concerned?  I was merely
pointing out the contradiction of suggesting that SGVLUG request
permission when UUASC has not done so, with less reason.

> .... I am not the G-d-Emperor ... I am the Rabbi-Comedian...

I reserve the right to insert Dune references in inappropriate places. :-)

> and I encourage you to bring up the issue on the uuasc general list, and I
> know that I don't have to tell you how to do that.  ;-)

Since I think it's a non-issue I will do no such thing, though you may.
It was a reducto ad absurdum of your suggestion to write LMI, not a
counterproposal.

Dustin, who really should throttle back his hobby of obscure jokes