[SGVLUG] trademark realities

Hershel Remer unixrabbi at rabbs.com
Mon Aug 29 13:54:11 PDT 2005

BS"D

Our friend Dustin replies:

> No.  Even if we could not obtain the actual value, that would not imply
> "unquantifiable", but rather merely "unquantified."  You effectively
> asserted that no value exists by saying they were "unquantifiable," and
> then proceeded to quantify them by saying they were zero.

Look, anything is possible. A mentally disturbed person in theory could
purchase the trademark and spend all of his or her money going to court in
every case when no money could be won, but what are the odds of that
happening? How would you, Dustin, possibly determine those odds? I believe
such actions cannot be "quantified" as there are no numbers to put on the
frequency of outlandish and unpredictable human behavior as suggested.  But,
then again, you are a Caltech physicist, and I know that you brainy folks
believe that everything can be broken down into numbers. :-)

Thanks for providing the links. As for your concerns regarding UUASC...

> I'm not suggesting for a moment that UUASC worry about this issue, only
> pointing out that it's right to use its name is less certain than that of
> SGVLUG.  If you, as God-Emperor of UUASC (or something like that :-)
> aren't taking steps to correct its situation, then it is difficult to
> understand why you would suggest we bother to write LMI.

.... I am not the G-d-Emperor ... I am the Rabbi-Comedian...  and the group
and the name existed long before I joined. You raised an interesting question
as to why UUASC doesn't mention that UNIX is a registered trademark anywhere,
and I encourage you to bring up the issue on the uuasc general list, and I
know that I don't have to tell you how to do that.  ;-)

-- the unixrabbi

Rabbi-Comedian of UUASC, who is considering purchasing the Linux trademark and
spending all of his money going to court in every case when no money could be
won.