[SGVLUG] It's too hot to compute!

Tom Emerson osnut at pacbell.net
Sat Aug 27 18:18:12 PDT 2005

The thermometer on the wall is reading over 100, and "suddenly" things got
flakey on my computer -- applications just vanished mid-keystroke, programs
wouldn't start due to "bus errors", and stuff like that.  I figured something
was amiss, but as to what I wasn't certain, then I felt the case -- ouch!

I had just recently vacuumed it out [seems the "dust" component has gone up
exponentially now that I have a couple of dogs] but apparently missed a spot
in front [an intake?] that was choked with dog hair and dust.  Shut the
system off for a few minutes to cool down, and when I restarted it, the
obligatory fsck complained and I was dropped into single-user mode [though
prompted for root's password...]

Reiser got more and more whiney about problems with /dev/vg00/home, and
eventually told me to "rebuild the superblock" [which eventually led to
rebuilding the entire tree]

KDE failed to start properly, so I went to the console and checked:

  $ cd /home
  $ ls
  lost+found
  $

awww crap -- guess I should have been using those blank DVD's to actually
backup my /home directory...  [going into the lost+found directory I found
some 50+ numbered directories and roughly the same number of straight files.]

But wait, you say -- you're headers show you're posting from kmail, so you've
managed to get something back, right?

Well, yes -- using "mc" [the "midnight commander", a straight clone of
norton's dos-based norton commander] I was able to identify which of the
directories was essentially my "home" direcotry, "~/,kde", and several other
important directories (and as an unintended side effect, I've done some
much-needed spring-cleaning of useless directories...)

(hmmm... apparently not all of them have been found, as kmail is complaining
about missing setups for some accounts -- hope the outbound config is still
there...)

well, things should go a /little/ easier now -- at least I'm pretty sure I can
eval-and-delete that which I don't need in my home dir faster...

--
blogref temporarily disabled for the Rabbi's benefit ;)