[SGVLUG] New SGVLUG website (nearly) ready

Tom Emerson osnut at pacbell.net
Thu Aug 18 20:26:21 PDT 2005

The "new" SGVLUG website, using Mambo [or whatever it will be called next
week...] is /nearly/ ready.  I have a few finishing touches to apply, then it
will become the actual site when Mike flips a couple of config files around.

In the meantime, I'm opening it up as a "gamma" test -- I figured "alpha"
testing was on Dustin's machine [thanks again!].  Likewise, "beta" testing
implies quite a bit of "flexability", however unless something is hideously
wrong with the way I've got it set up, I'm not likely to change it at this
point, so "beta" doesn't fit either ;)  Therefore, "gamma" is next in line if
I remember my junior high-school week-or-two of Latin classes... :)

Here's the deal: make your way to http://test.sgvlug.net and check out the new
site.  The first thing you're likely to notice is...

               "nothing"!

Through the templating capability of Mambo, I've managed to come up with a
pretty good clone of our site "as it exists now" and have made it the default
[so as not to scare anyone into thinking some "other" linux user group stole
our site...]  You can use the template chooser to see how it looks with a
slightly different "skin" [and in fact you'll have to switch to another
template if you want to "register", but in reality there is little need to
register as the intent is to keep the site as open as possible -- OTOH, if
someone can come up with a good project that lends itself to a "members only"
distinction, I'm sure we can accommodate it -- in particular, the idea of a
photo gallery of active members may warrant some control...]

browse around for a while and see what works (or not, though I mostly know
what isn't working, so you don't need to report it)  If you see something
that can stand some improvement, send me an e-mail [you can even use the
"contact us" link on the site]  Also, if you maintain your own blog [and
further, if you have an rss feed of your blog] let us know and we'll set up a
link or two.

Tom

--
blogref temporarily disabled for the Rabbi's benefit ;)