[SGVLUG] SSH client that can display all four screens at one time

Tom Emerson osnut at pacbell.net
Thu Aug 18 01:25:22 PDT 2005

On Thursday 18 August 2005 12:52 am, Claude Felizardo wrote:
> On 8/17/05, Leon Yeh <leon at newavenue.net> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I have read somewhere but forgot to write down the name of application.
> > It is a shell type application that can display by default all four
> > sessions in one window. It starts with some thing "quad".
>
> LinuxJournal just had an article on this in July.    It's called
> Quadconsole and was described in the Cooking with Linux column.  It
> was written by Simon Perreault using KDE kparts.  Have a look at
> either
> http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=22482 or
> http://freshmeat.net/projects/quadkonsole
>
> You can even open up 16 sessions:
>
> quadconsole --rows 4 --columns 4

actually, one of the screenshots on kde-apps showed 70 session [10 rows x 7
cols] but overall, it's still "cheating" -- you need "X" and KDE to do this,
so it really isn't a "console" or "shell type" application, at least, not in
the sense that you could run it over a serial line to a "dumb" terminal (or
even a "smart" one...)  As such, you can do what this does by running
multiple instances of xterm or similar, but as the author notes, the reasons
this is "better" are that

   -- you don't have to manually align the terminal windows
   -- you can minimize ALL of them at once
   -- it only takes "one slot" in the taskbar

but for each of these reasons, there is a counter argument

   -- [manually align]: if you have screens that have large expanses of blank
space or "unneeded content", you can't overlap the window to hide the part
you don't care about
   -- [minimize all]: unless, of course, you're interested in ONE particular
screen
   -- [one slot]: kill one, and they all go bye-bye...

--
blogref temporarily disabled for the Rabbi's benefit ;)