[SGVLUG] DVD Player on Linux

Emerson, Tom Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Wed Aug 17 12:20:28 PDT 2005

-----Original Message-----
Kevin SoftDev

does anyone knows some DVD player on Linux ... I installed Suse 93 and there is no DVD player ...

It's kind of hidden -- I think by default SuSE installs XINE, but doesn't install either the css decoder [fear of lawyers] or some other component (name & reason escapes me at the moment) that essentially allows xine to actually play a DVD.

As such, "xine" isn't really "the player", but a more generic component.  The actual "player" is usually "kaffeine", which is the KDE front-end/skin on top of xine.

I don't have the link handy, [meaning I may respond later when I get home] but there is a site called "packman" that has SuSE-specific RPM's for getting xine/kaffeine to play DVD's.  (the truly cool part about the packman site is that you can set it as "an installation source" and yast will then load it as if it were on the cd/dvd you got from SuSE/Novell)

IN ADDITION to the dvd component and/or libdvdcss (or is it libdecss?) you should also load the "complete" codec suite -- this will allow you to play .avi's, .mpg's, .mov's, etc. all from xine/kaffeine