[SGVLUG] ack -- finally got "wormed" at work

Tom Emerson osnut at pacbell.net
Tue Aug 16 18:55:09 PDT 2005

On Tuesday 16 August 2005 6:32 pm, Robert Leyva wrote:
> Try downloading and installing clamwin (clamwin.com)?

heh heh heh -- you're lucky enough to be working in a part of WB that
encourages the use of Linux ;)  As such, we are "supposedly" (?) protected by
norton at a corporate level -- in fact, they send an e-mail every tuesday
morning reminding people to leave their system "on" so the latest signature
file can be downloaded & applied automatically [as well as a full scan, etc.]
Turns out this is a bit redundant for me anyway as I've also set a daily scan
myself, but apparently that doesn't do much good if the signature file isn't
updated with the same frequency.

[ironically, yesterday I wanted someone to send me a group of files so he used
winzip to package them up for me, but when his message arrived it was noted
as "quarantined" because the attachment HAD A VIRUS.  When he (and I) scanned
the file he created, it didn't turn anything up -- a call into the
company-wide helpdesk confirmed we "had the latest signature file" so we came
to the conclusion that there may be a blanket "rule" that all .zip files are
presumed to be virus laden]