[SGVLUG] FC3 install hangs

Michael Proctor-Smith mproctor13 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 12:40:00 PDT 2005

On 8/9/05, qun li <liquncc at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I tried to upgrade from RH8 to FC3 and it failed. I
> was  able to do a clean re-install of RH8. When I
> ttried to  do a clean install of FC3 it hanged on
> first reboot config process.

I have never really upgraded an OS I just don't trust upgrading.

> There was a message when it was booting up:
>       PCI :  cannot allocate resource region 4 of
> device 0000:00:1f.1

These kinds of messages are usally not a problem.

> I  think the Xconfig is ok because I saw the License
> agreement display and the small windows when it was
> starting sshd..... etc.
> -----------
> I   swear I didn't do anything but last night when I
> turned on the machine it continued with the set up
> process and rebooted  to display the login screen.
> When I logged in it displays the gnome desktop. When I
>  tried the application drop down menu I  got the
> "color streaks" display again.
> During the install FC3 detected the intel 810 video
> card. Does it mean it should already  have the driver
> to handle the display? thanks
Yes asumming that you actually have intel 810, card in the system.
Sounds like some kind of problem with your drivers, or hardware you
should try updating, X-windows,  FC3 will have yum. From the console
you can run yum update to automatically update(up2date sould be
installed if yum is not). There are a lot of update for FC3 I would
recomend FC4 sense it is out and you have not yet spent that much time
configuring FC3 yet.