[SGVLUG] Test site update -- mambo stuff

Tom Emerson osnut at pacbell.net
Sun Aug 7 20:18:20 PDT 2005

I'm really liking the Mambo site manger -- I think it will work well for the
types of things we want to do with the site: meeting announcements (both for
our own and for related user groups -- after all, it doesn't hurt us to
advertise for others, and if they reciprocate, so much the better), tutorials
and other tips, meeting archives, and so on.

I've added a CALENDAR component to the site (courtesy of mamboforge) and set
it up to allow registered users to post MEETING announcements without the
need for administrator approval (basically, these should be posted by leaders
of other user groups)  Other types of events will need approval before they
are published [psst, Matti -- you'll note I created a "conferences" event
type...]

I've also created an "SGVLUG_classic" template (actually, use the "classic2"
version...)  However, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK: I'll probably be updating it as
time goes by, so at any given moment:

   -- it may not be complete
   -- it may not "work" correctly
   -- there MAY NOT BE A WAY TO UNDO this choice!

That last is because if the "theme chooser" isn't displayed, you can't change
back (and strangely enough, even if you manage to log out, pages are still
rendered using the last theme you had selected.  Furthermore, even if I
DELETE the theme, you'll still see pages rendered that way until the site's
content itself changes in some way)

That said, it does look pretty much like our actual page (still need to work
on alignment of some elements, though...) and may work as a "transition" from
the old to new layouts...

In the near future I'll probably also add the "comment" module which will
allow visitors to the site to hold a discussion on a given item [for
instance, you could use it to post questions in advance of the meeting;
hopefully the presenter will have read this page and will be prepared to
answer...]  I think I can also enable "ratings" to get an idea of how well
liked a given meeting will be (was?)  [ok, I've already done that last one --
"ratings" are now enabled, though it looks like it may be of limited use...]

--
blogref temporarily disabled for the Rabbi's benefit ;)