[SGVLUG] Daily Affirmations: today's cool linux [desktop] tip

Tom Emerson osnut at pacbell.net
Sun Aug 7 16:32:08 PDT 2005

I just did something in KDE that I would be very surprised to see happen under
windows -- switched download managers mid-stream (!)

Here's the deal: I decided to get the latest SuSE 9.3 "pro" DVD, which I see
is now available as an .iso.  I started downloading it using firefox and went
about my other business.  some hundreds of megabytes downloaded later,
"something happened" and firefox managed to crash out, including firefox's
built-in download manager.

without skipping a beat, I fired up Konquerer simply to get the "kget"
component started.  I browsed back to where I was doing the download and
drag-n-dropped the URL on the kget target.  Gave is the same name as before
(well, that was the default anyway) and since there was an existing ".part"
file out there, kget restarted where firefox left off!

HOW COOL IS THAT???

(of course, it's going to be another 10+ hours before it finishes anyway
before I can determine whether or not this was a precise restart...)

Tom

p.s. while this is probably something that should be posted to my rarely
updated blog, I thought perhaps this would be of greater benefit if it were a
section of the new-and-improved SGVLUG website [these neat new tools we're
evaluating would make it easy to create such a section, we'd just need
someone to supply content...]  Any thoughts?

--
blogref temporarily disabled for the Rabbi's benefit ;)