[SGVLUG] SGVLUG meeting 10/12 at IHOP: Developing open-source (aerospace) hardware like open source software

Lan Dang ldangmlist at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 20:58:32 PDT 2023

Hi all,

Last minute reminder that SGVLUG meets tomorrow (Thursday), October 12th at
6:30pm.  We will be at IHOP (880 S Arroyo Pkwy, Pasadena, CA).
We'll be in the back room.

1) Sean Marquez is going to be talking about cubesats and taking an OSS
approach to aerospace hardware.  He co-authored an article in IEEE (
https://digitalcommons.odu.edu/mae_fac_pubs/135/)

Meetup:: https://www.meetup.com/sgvtech/events/295358113/

Speaker Bio:
Technical writer, experienced in DocOps, mechanical design, & model-based
engineering, developing methodologies & tools for distributed manufacturing
& open-source hardware

Abstract:

Cubesats are a class of smallscale spacecrafts that have grown in
popularity amongst universities and aerospace industry. Due to their size
and formfactor, they make for an ideal platform for experimental space
science missions, as well as for adopting new methodolodies for developing
aerospace hardware. The Sealion Mission is a joint CubeSat mission being
developed by the Old Dominion University (ODU) and Coast Guard Academy
(CGA) to test several payloads, such as a deployable composite structure
(think Lightsail's deployable sails, but mechanically driven). In effort to
ensure the reproducibility of both hardware and software, as to serve as a
reference implementation for building future CubeSat projects, the Sealion
team has been in the process of adopting the DOF methodology - an approach
to developing open-source hardware (OSHW) like open-source software (OSS),
currently under development by the Mach 30 Foundation.
The DOF methodology defines the "source" of an OSHW project to be three key
elements:

the Bill of Materials (BoM) data,
Assembly Instructions,
Supporting Material (e.g., design files, schematics, operating instructions)

Because the DOF methodology also specifies that the BoM data be authored in
YAML on the local filesystem, we can leverage existing version control and
package management tools currently used in OSS to manage complex hardware
projects as if it were a software project with nested dependencies. As the
team adopts such an approach for a CubeSat project, we are actively
discovering desired use cases within the project and have extended the DOF
methodology to address those use cases.

2) The Call for Papers for SCALE is open until November 1st.  Consider
submitting, or invite your favorite speakers to submit.
https://www.socallinuxexpo.org/scale/21x

We did a speaker brown bag to provide some info and Q&A regarding the SCaLE
CFP process.  Here is the recording.  I went out of my way to put in
chapters, so you can jump to the sections you need.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAvD59BfJ2U

Lan
ldangmlist at gmail.com