[SGVLUG] SGVLUG Meeting on Thu 7/10 @ 7pm: Org-mode with Spacemacs & Webhooks and Slack

Lan Dang via SGVLUG sgvlug at sgvlug.net
Wed Jul 10 17:04:12 PDT 2019

Hi all,
Reminder that we have an SGVLUG meeting this Thursday (which is tomorrow) at 7pm.  We will be at IHOP, close to the 110 FWY.

Additionally, a reminder that we are passing the hat to raise enough money to buy A/V equipment to be passed between SGVLUG, SGV-AI, SWENG (software engineering) for our presentation-style meetings.  We collected $110 from the previous LUG.  Braddock says he has an additional $79.04 from SGV-AI, I think.

If we go with the Epson projector we used at the last LUG, it'll be $220 for the projector.  The projector stand is free as Braddock had donated the tripod and I'm donating the metal tray.  We may want to buy a new projector screen as mine keeps losing screws.  This Celexon is under $100, is about the same size, and weighs under 11lbs with a carrying case.   (My Epson Duet screen was about $150 and weighs about 28 lbs, and as mentioned, keeps losing screws)

You can compare the two screens on Amazon:
Celexon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0725CSLHC
Epson: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HRYV38

This months' meeting will be about Org-mode with Spacemacs with a second talk on Webhooks and Slack.

https://www.meetup.com/SGVTech/events/zvpphlyzkbpb/

---TIME: Thursday, Jul 11th, from 7pm to 9pmLOCATION: IHOP, 880 S Arroyo Pkwy, Pasadena, CATOPIC: Org-mode with Spacemacs & Webhooks & Slack
SPEAKER: Sean Marquez, Ashok Modi

* Sean on Org-mode with Spacemacs:  The best editor is neither vim nor emacs, it’s Vim and Emacs! Spacemacs is a community-driven Emacs distribution that comes built-in with many popular packages, including Evil-Mode - a vim layer for Emacs, and Org-Mode - a tool for note taking and/or project management that utilizes a rich plain text markup language. This presentation will be a live demo of some of orgmode and spacemacs' features and capabilities.

* Ashok on Webhooks and Slack:In this presentation, Ashok Modi is going to use Slack events as a guide to describe what webhooks are, how they are different from a traditional API, and some of the ways you can deal with data coming from webhooks. This talk will involve looking at code, along with learning about middleware and queues.

Lan