[SGVLUG] Reminder: SGVLUG meeting on 1/10: "Two Mini Talks: Open Source Licenses and Markdown"

Lan Dang via SGVLUG sgvlug at sgvlug.net
Tue Jan 8 11:43:48 PST 2019

Hi all,

Reminder that we have an SGVLUG meeting this Thursday at our usual place, Du-Par's Restaurant and Bakery.

https://www.meetup.com/SGVTech/events/zvpphlyzcbnb/

In addition to presentations by our new member, Sean Marquez, we invite you to clean out your closets by bringing your leftover conference swag and tech books to give away.   I will be bringing my dwindling collection of old SCALE t-shirts.   I will also be bringing some extra SCALE A/V t-shirts for anyone from the A/V team who wants to replace their old shirts.

We should also decide if we will have a booth again this year at SCaLE, and which of the SGVTech subgroups are involved.

---
TIME: Thursday, Jan 10th, from 7pm to 9pm
LOCATION: Du Par's Restaurant and Bakery, 214 S Lake Ave, Pasadena, CATOPIC: Two Mini Talks: Open Source Licenses and Markdown
SPEAKER: Sean Marquez

  How (and Why) to Choose an Open Source License
There is a common misconception that just because your code is public on GitHub that it is open source, but unless there is a license in your codebase, then it is by default copyrighted. This talk will cover an introduction to copyright, open source, the types of open source licenses, how to go about choosing an open source license for your project, and why should you choose to open source your project.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to Markdown
Markdown is the most commonly used lightweight markup language on the internet. However, lately it has been adopted by the technical writing community as a solution for writing documentation. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Bio:
Sean Marquez graduated with a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, specializing in design of dynamic systems, from UC Irvine. During his undergrad, he project managed a CubeSat program where he developed a passion for space exploration. He worked for an OEM aerospace consulting firm for over a year as an associate mechanical design engineer. In 2015, he joined and collaborated with an online team, performing numerical simulations & control systems design, for rLoop – a non-profit global think tank that won the innovation award for the first SpaceX hyperloop pod competition. Sean is currently a worker-owner at Space Cooperative Inc., involved with development and testing of smart contracts to be utilized by the Space Decentral network, collaborating on Coral - an open source robotic space mission to mine lunar regolith for in-situ resource utilization, and leading efforts on the adoption of the Model-Based Systems Engineering (MBSE) methodology.

Lan