[SGVLUG] An OCR Inquiree?

Chime Hart via SGVLUG sgvlug at sgvlug.net
Wed Oct 24 21:34:15 PDT 2018

Well, I installed several OCR solutions here in Debian, such as
ocrad, cuneiform, tesseract, gocr, probably others.
Anyway, I would really like to scan a left-and-right page of a book at the same
time, actually a same scan. Some may call this sideways or esque. When I was in
windows, Openbook had this option.
There is a commercial OCR product called "Abbyy" but now they are only offering
a Linux version as an sdk for developers. There's actually a download link for a
tar.gz which becomes a .run   but they will not provide a cereal number.
So can any1 please suggest an OCR package in non-graphical, which would offer
sideways scanning?
As weird as this is, I have an HP scanner which has no power button-and-seeming
no software way of switching it off. Thanks so much in advance for any guidance,
just wanting to convert to plain-text
Chime