[SGVLUG] Practical AWK revisited

Lan Dang via SGVLUG sgvlug at sgvlug.net
Mon Mar 12 02:28:38 PDT 2018

My AWK talk at SCALE went really well.  I had a pretty large turnout, which is surprising because it was a late Sunday afternoon talk.  They were super-engaged.  People must really want to learn AWK.  I did a survey, and while most of them were familiar with AWK, less than a handful could write AWK from scratch.
Thanks again for the great feedback on my AWK talk from January's meeting.  The most valuable feedback was to increase the font size and starting out with a few sample AWK programs.

Here are the updated slides.
http://bit.ly/PracticalAWK

It's also linked on the SCALE talk page.https://www.socallinuxexpo.org/scale/16x/presentations/practical-awk-awkwardly-dealing-data

The talk, via the livestream:https://youtu.be/1FuhpyaGR0I?t=3h43m0s
I received a lot of great questions and comments, and I remembered to repeat them for the camera about 95% of the time.  The video came out pretty well with pretty good sound.  In case anyone was wondering, the Mike I was responding to was Mike Weilgart, who gave that great Git Foundations talk back in late 2016.

He's giving a talk at LOPSA LA called "Shell Basics: Under the Hood" on March 27th.
https://www.meetup.com/lopsala/events/248096821/

Lan