[SGVLUG] 2/8 Meeting Recap (Was Re: [SGVHAK] Please promote Feb 8th LUG meeting! The 5W1H of Getting Involved with Open Source

Lan Dang via SGVLUG sgvlug at sgvlug.net
Fri Feb 9 02:35:49 PST 2018

Hi all,

Quick announcement: I'm oversubscribed through June so I'm relying on the functional anarchy to make sure that we have our usual monthly meetings.  Don't rely on me to know what day it is, though you can, of course, get access to the projector and stuff we normally bring to Du-Par's.

The LUG meeting turned out well.  I believe we had about 41 people in attendance.  It was really nice to see some folks I hadn't seen in a while.  We had flyers with our promo code for SCALE and Matti brought a large poster.  Hackaday LA did some last minute promotion for us, so we had a few hardware folks.

Thanks to Michael Starch for manning registration and helping post signs.  There was a little mix-up with facilities, but we managed to deal with it due to long familiarity with OpenX.  Thanks to MPS for dealing with the A/V system and Derek for sorting out the parking.
We had several announcements:   Roger reported on the Hackaday "Repairs You Can Print" contest, which ends on Feb 20th.     https://hackaday.io/contest/32812-repairs-you-can-print-contest

   Andrea advertised the upcoming Write the Docs LA Meetup at Caltech on March 1st
     https://www.meetup.com/Write-the-Docs-Los-Angeles/events/247164479/

   I asked for help with the SCALE TNG Playground, and ended up getting a few contacts.
   Matti is pushing for us to have our March 8th LUG meeting at SCALE.  If someone schedules a Birds of a Feather session on Thursday at 7pm, then it would totally be doable.
   Steve Bibayoff announced a work session for the SCALE Tech team, which will be hosted at Nullspace Labs this weekend.  He's already sent info to the mailing list.
   Reminder that we will have a booth at SCALE

==

Paul talked about his personal history and illustrated the 5W1H of Getting Involved in Open Source by contrasting the answers from 23-year-old Paul to current-day Paul.  This showed us not only how the landscape had changed, but also how he had changed in his views.  Along the way, he challenged the audience to answer these questions, and we ended up
having a really nice conversation about open source.  We were even able to highlight that you don't have to write code to contribute, and that sometimes the open source project isn't code at all.

===Afterwards, we had a fairly large group congregate at Du-Par's.  We fully occupied the back booth in the Barrymore Room.

Lan