[SGVLUG] rm -rf ./* from the wrong folder on a LUKS encrypted ext hdd

Bryan Pesterfield via SGVLUG sgvlug at sgvlug.net
Tue Feb 6 12:19:30 PST 2018

Good morning,

I used that dreaded command from the wrong folder while rebuilding my
system and restoring files. I know I need to be careful with that command
and that sooner or later I would regret it. That day came yesterday. I was
looking at a different directory and forgot where I was at when I issued
the command.

So far, I have read that debugfs and lsdel only works on ext2, extundelete
works for unmounted drives but I get a Bad Magic Number error when
attempting to run (presumably because the disk is encrypted), testdisk says
on their wiki it can do it but gives no indication how, and of course,
every hit on a search engine leaves out one or two terms, so most of what I
find is nonapplicable or junk.

At least when I screw up, I do it spectacularly. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bryan Pesterfield