[SGVLUG] Please promote Feb 8th LUG meeting! The 5W1H of Getting Involved with Open Source

Lan Dang via SGVLUG sgvlug at sgvlug.net
Sat Feb 3 18:36:31 PST 2018

Hi all,
The next LUG meeting is on "The 5W1H of Getting Involved in Open Source." Our speaker is a hiring manager and open source evangelist at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory.
Please help promote the Feb 8th SGVLUG meeting.  It is a terrific opportunity to have a conversation about Open Source, whether it's software or hardware projects.

It would be great to bring in a diverse audience of evangelists, contributors, and just people who have heard about open source and want to become more involved.  This would make a great Meetup for students or new coders or documentarians.

Since it will be at OpenX, we need to provide a list of names to security.   Please either RSVP on Meetup or RSVP with me.  If you're new to OpenX, please check out the Meetup for parking instructions.

https://www.meetup.com/SGVTech/events/zvpphlyxdblb/

TIME: Thursday, February 8th, from 7pm to 9pm
LOCATION: OpenX Technologies, 888 E Walnut St, Pasadena, CA 91101
TOPIC: The 5W1H of Getting Involved in Open Source
SPEAKER: Paul Ramirez

Abstract
Open source is vital towards our future in technology development and is being promoted across government institutions and within the private sector. In this talk he will cover the who, what, where, why, and how’s of open source based on his life experience. This talk will seek to inform and recruit the audience to engage and contribute in open source by providing answers to the simple questions. Together we will discuss lowering the barrier to entry into the open source world. And if you’re already contributing to open source then we will share life experiences and camaraderie and plans to infect more people with the open source bug.
Bio Mr. Paul Ramirez has worked at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) for the past 17 years and is currently a group supervisor (i.e. hiring manager) for the Science Data Systems Operations Engineering and Computer Science for Data Intensive Applications groups. He holds a BS in Computer Science from Cal Poly Pomona and an MS in Computer Science from the University of Southern California. Mr. Ramirez has developed, advocated, and help drive policy for Open Source at NASA. Mr. Ramirez has been involved with the Apache Software Foundation as a committer and mentor.

Lan