[SGVLUG] DTLA Mini Maker Faire & SGVHAK Rover news

Lan Dang via SGVLUG sgvlug at sgvlug.net
Wed Dec 5 07:30:38 PST 2018

Hi all,

We had a really great time at the DTLA Mini Maker Faire.  The library reported that there were 8000+ attendees and nearly 100 makers.

We took over a whole lawn area of Maguire Garden in front of the Los Angeles Central Library with our collocated booths of the JPL Open Source Rover, the JPL STEM booth, the TRAPPIST-1 VR experience, SGVHAK, Repair Cafe, and Tinkering and STEM for Kids. I was there representing all of them.

I want to thank the SGVLUG/SGVHAK community for helping out -- Michael Starch and Gilbert for coming early to lay out the booth, Carlos Lopez and Carlos Meza for helping with setup and filling in where necessary, Emily Velasco for contributing to show and tell and showing off the rover, Michael Proctor-Smith for representing SGVHAK and helping to give away all those old SCALE t-shirts that were in my garage.   Sean Marquez and Jess Bermudes for helping to run the TRAPPIST-1 VR  booth.  Evan Hilgemann and Max Ferguson for representing Repair Cafe.  The Tobiano family (Tinkering and STEM for Kids) for helping out with the SGVHAK booth and keeping us supplied with boba drinks.

Roger was our representative at the JPL Open Source Rover booth.  We had four rovers between us, with the original JPL rover, Santa Susana High School's rover, the SGVHAK rover (which was used in the JPL Open Source Rover talk), and, of course, Roger's Sawppy.

Here is my Google Photo story about the event.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/r8BsmNv8qCP4MZig7
I highly recommend watching this Facebook Live video, where Library Directory of Youth Services Eva Mitnick gives everyone a tour of the library about 45 minutes before the event starts.  There are many interesting makers.
https://www.facebook.com/lapubliclibrary/videos/357111301722414/
Some final bits of news:

* Roger and I will be presenting about the SGVHAK Rover at SCALE 17x.  Our talk is called  "The Trouble with Rovers."

* I finally built a landing page for the SGVHAK Rover: http://bit.ly/sgvhak_rover

* The Command Line Heroes season 2 finale will feature JPL and the JPL Open Source Rover.   There may or may not be some audio from the SGVHAK Rover team. One of their audio producers actually came out to Dave's shop some time ago to record and interview us, and we shared all of our build videos with them.

Here was the teaser from the end of episode 7, which came out yesterday: "Next episode it's our epic season two finale. Command Line Heroes is taking a journey to Mars. We're learning how NASA's martian rover is kicking off an open source revolution of its own. And we're hanging out with the CTO at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory. No biggie. To learn how open source is shaping the future of space exploration."

I believe it will come out on Dec 18th.
https://www.redhat.com/en/command-line-heroes
https://commandlineheroes.simplecast.fm/

Lan