[SGVLUG] Any Stingray Hacking at SCALE?

Henry B Hotz via SGVLUG sgvlug at sgvlug.net
Fri Apr 13 14:50:59 PDT 2018

Been meaning to ask: was there any CTF or other hacking at SCALE which involved attacking smart phones via their RF interfaces?

Every time I was in the basement of the eastern building I got popups saying they wanted to update my RF settings. Anyone know anything?

There is no authentication on those updates, but there are good reasons why Verizon would need to do that occasionally, especially if one moves to a new location.

Of course if you go to China and your phone has a DC area code those updates will cc all data to someone besides your intended recipient . . .

Personal email. hbhotz at oxy.edu